VIDEO: Rosie O’Donnell and Chelsea Handler Go On Politically Incorrect Rant About Little People, Rosie Apologizes.

Awkward, Featured, Television, That's Just Wrong — By on 2012/02/16 10:17 am

It’s not surprising that this video - full of so many politically incorrect and insulting remarks about little people that you cannot count them all – is upsetting people.

Rosie O’Donnell was interviewing Chelsea Handler for her talk show on OWN, when the subject of Handler’s late night co-star Chuy came up. (Chuy is a little person who used to work in the adult film industry, and now is Handler’s sidekick on her talk show Chelsea Lately.)  O’Donnell starts the conversation by saying she has a phobia of little people. Then two then go on a rant that you can only imagine they both believe to be funny, talking about dressing them up as children, having sex with one, (Handler vehemently said no, calling it ‘child abuse’) and more.

From there, the two continue in what seems like an effort to one-up the other with a more inappropriate remark. Surprisingly, (and thankfully) they do not use the term midgets, but the other references are beyond unfortunate.

O’Donnell claims her fear of little people could be attribued her grandmother.”My Nana was afraid of the ‘Wizard Of Oz’ munchkins,” she told Handler. Handler, on the other hand, viewed them as adorable, (She has previously dressed sidekick Chuy Bravo in baby clothes on the show): “I love little people … I want to tackle them. I see them and I want to hold myself down. I bite Chuy [Bravo] sometimes. … He’s so cute and that’s my ultimate body. If you’re going to have a little person, I want that shape, the corpulence.”

Understandably, advocacy groups for Americans of short stature due to dwarfism are up in arms about the discussion. Although the topics discussed are probably not uncommon (I’m guessing this isn’t the first time these sort of references have been made by any means) – the fact that the chat is portrayed is perfectly acceptable and funny, is regrettable.

The truth is, there are a lot of groups that, if these same statements were uttered about, this would become a much bigger deal, and heads would roll. If someone had said they were afraid of gay people, or didn’t want to be around them, wouldn’t Rosie be upset and insulted? As a Rosie fan, I’m disappointed.

It’s not surprising then, that folks on twitter (including one insightful person who happens to be little) responded to the controversy, and thankfully Rosie also elaborated.

While the interview chat to begin with was regrettable for it’s ‘isn’t this so funny that I feel this way?’ tone, it seems that Rosie has been doing some thinking about it. I can understand that it’s easy for a conversation to get carried away, and for the average person it never comes back to haunt them in the same way it would for someone with such a public profile. That said, having a public profile comes with the demand for greater discretion. To see the conversation develop on twitter is encouraging. Like anything else, discussion often breeds the healing.

For more entertainment news and pop culture updates, follow @BrianBalthazar on twitter!

So what do you think?

Tags: , , , , ,

6 Comments

1. Tim says:

Wow. So uh, Jerry. You counter the “offensive, insensitive” remarks made by those two successful comedians by making sweeping generalizations about women comics. You really did make a point. You’re a hypocrite.

2. Amber says:

Jason You Need To Grow Up And Act Your Age, But Like You Said You Can’t FIX STUPID NOT EVEN WITH DUCT TAPE.. So eat that shit!!

3. Jason says:

Nobody ‘owes’ anybody ANYTHING. Last I checked, this was still America, and people have the right to say whatever they please- freedom of speech (you can go ahead and look that up, under ‘Bill of Rights’, I’ll wait).

So, ‘Amber’ is personally offended by this, Jerry thinks Rosie isn’t funny, and BOTH try (failing miserably) to get a ‘dig’ in at Rosie with their ‘fat lesbian’ comments, and Christine doesn’t understand what is even going on…

Amber- ‘little people’ can’t do anything average size people can do. Get over it. It’s a fact. Black people have thinker lips and curly hair. White people can’t dance (or jump, apparently). Asian people can’t drive… the list goes on and on. Sure- they are ‘politically incorrect’ statements, and actually, incorrect (most of the time) but they have a basis in fact, at some point. Get yourself a spine, and realize that in the real world nobody cares if your feelings get hurt. just as YOU didn’t see anything wrong with (once again) pointing to the lesbian card when referring to Rosie. What if SHE were to get offended by YOUR statement? Oh, it’s alright, though, because she offended you first, right? Yeah, ok- hey, could you come grab this box off the top shelf for me, please? Oh wait, nevermind.

Jerry, both Rosie and Chelsea are hilarious. What if someone said they had a fear of humorless trolls? Jerry, YOU need to shut the hell up. 1 homophobe that thinks his small minded opinion matters. Small minded opinions don’t matter.

Christine, I’m sorry, but I don’t think anyone can help you. As Ron White so eloquently said- ‘Ya can’t fix stupid’.

4. Amber says:

I am a little person and I am personally offended by this, Rosie you owe all the little people of america an apology on national t.v. You don’t see any little people getting on national t.v talking about how you are a lesbian do u, i don’t think so… We are human to and we have feelings just like anybody else, and I’m here to tell you we can do anything you average size people can do we just do it alittle different… So u should feel real good trying to make yourself look real big on t.v..

5. Jerry says:

Really? What if someone said they had a phobia of fat lesbian women? You and Chelsea need to shut the hell up. 2 women that think they are funny. Women aren’t funny.

6. Christine says:

Her comments are meant to be an apology? Try again Rosie!!!